Thursday, May 19, 2011

Runabout Red Ale & Pamola Xtra Pale Ale

I took a much needed, SOLO, field trip to Sebago Brew Pub, in the Old Port, during ACBW (American Craft Beer Week), to sample some special brews! I told the husband this was my variation of him going for a SOLO morning run!  He said, "Go! Have fun but what should I feed the kids?" 
Anyway, once I got there, the environment at the pub was lively and full of excitement for the release of rare craft beers!  The menu of beer, not food, was long & descriptive!
I first attempted to sample a never before released beer called 'Lunch' produced by The Maine Beer Company (remember Mean Old Tom?) but that keg had already kicked (mind you it was only 6PM!)  So, I went with another Maine brewery, Baxter Brewing Company, known for reintroducing quality beer in a can. I tried their pale ale which ironically was on draft and not in a can!
After polishing that pint, I knew I needed to look at a food menu, since I rarely have more than one beer in a sitting, due to my title of MOM & sleep deprivation!  Anyway, I went out on a limb, ordering buffalo chicken tenders and proceeded to request a Sebago Runabout Red Ale to pair with the food!
While waiting at the bar to eat, my people watching & eaves dropping skills were in full on mode, and I happened to hear someone chatting about Lunch.  I politely joined in the conversation and mentioned how bummed out I was that I missed my chance at trying that beer!  The woman, who called herself Rory, empathized with me & cheerfully proclaimed that she knew where and when I could try Lunch!  All of a sudden, I was in the "in" crowd and was readily soaking up their secret club information about Lunch:
-go to RSVP Beverage store in Portland
-at 4pm the following day
-Lunch will be poured & sold in bottles! 
I nodded fervently while receiving these tips and said, "Thanks, I hope to be there!  But, don't judge me if I also have my two little ones in tow!" 
Stay tuned to see if I finally get to taste Lunch! 
 
Beer descriptions from the menu @ Sebago:  (My thoughts on the beers are beneath each of  the brief summaries)
Baxter's Pamola Xtra Pale Ale (4.9% ABV):  "A pale brewed with a proprietary blend of North American 2-row malted barely, including barley grown in Northern Maine's Aroostook County.  Bright golden in color with a creamy head. Subtle malt and hop aroma."
CQC: pour produced a golden straw color; little head with mild to moderate carbonation; nice & light finish; overall a good beer
 
Sebago's Runabout Red Ale (5% ABV):  "Our red ale has a malty sweet taste that comes from 3 different types of caramel malt. It is a clean, well-balanced beer that started as a seasonal ale.  It was so popular with regulars that we started brewing it year round in 2002" 
CQC:  pour produced a cranberry hued liquid; bursts of sweetness erupted with each sip; head stayed frothy & filled the mouth; delicious!

 
For a complete list of all the beers served at the event go to: 
http://portlanddailysun.me/node/25265

No comments:

Post a Comment