Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Allagash White

Allagash Brewery hailing from Portland, Maine (http://www.allagash.com/home) makes a version of a traditional Belgian wheat brew & calls it Allagash White.  It's very popular in the local scene, as most any restaurant and/or brewpub in the area carries it on tap;  which is the way I prefer this beer, not from the bottle.  I haven't had it in a few years, but liked it the first time I had it and thought I'd give it a go, again, since it came in second in the Cooler Poll.  Here are the results from my latest tasting:

Taste:  Orange & citrus notes in the finish; Not intensely sweet but hints of sweet spices pop through as the tasting continues.  The aroma gave off a  grainy like wheat scent which is probably the yeast sediments in the pour.

Color: Hazy, faded gold

Thickness:  Light body with a quarter inch, white head that faded very quickly.  There is a pronounced carbonation--you can feel the bubbles in the sip popping in your mouth.

ABV: 5%

Mom Factoid: I can appreciate the orange & citrus flavors in this brew and find the more tastings I do, the more I enjoy detecting fruit & spices on my palate. In some ways, I feel I'm mirroring my littlest one, who is also learning what various foods taste like & is developing his own personal taste bud preferences.  It's interesting how these change and develop over time, as we age & get exposed to new tastes in our environment.  So, I guess the message is to continue to try new flavors, in both brew and food, because you never know when you might come across one that perks your palate!

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous review! I noticed that you have been posting a lot of reviews as of late. Either the kids have slowed down, or running around after them in this hot weather is making you very thirsty! Either way, I am enjoying the blog. Cheers, and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Dear Life, Thanks!! There's a thing called coffee that tends to help me "balance" being a mom & brew review blogger :) Most days, I can't achieve that "hoppy" medium but on the days I can, life sure is sweet! Cheers & looking forward to your next post--I could use a good laugh :)

    ReplyDelete