Friday, June 24, 2011

Gritty's Vacationland

I took a much needed, Friday, late afternoon, solo field trip to the Portland Pie Company, to pick up pizza for the troops.  Given that it was 4:30, the bar was empty but the music of the Counting Crows, song being played was Hard Candy, transported me back to summers years ago, when I saw them perform live, with the husband, on Jones Beach in Long Island. I love that song & I love them!  For a few minutes, I was in my twenties again and it felt great :)

Anyway, back to the brew, I tasted Gritty's Summer seasonal, which is called Vacationland.  It's categorized as an American Blond Ale. I found it to be particularly yummy. Here's why:

Taste: Dense flavors mix together in the mouth. Malty but not overly sweet. Definite hop burst onto the scene in the finish.

Color: Mild bronze with hidden orange (almost like a game of peek-a-boo; now you see the orange, now you don't--very cool!)

Thickness: Medium body; poured from draft, produced a quarter inch, white frothy head that lasted the majority of the tasting.

ABV:4.9%

Mom Factoid: "Vacationland" refers to one of the nicknames Maine has! Not being a true Mainer, I'm still getting used to things up here, but I will say, if you've never been, you need to plan a "vacation" here! 

No comments:

Post a Comment